Can I use Abeego to wrap citrus?
Yes! Abeego and citrus are good friends and go way back. Citrus lasts forever in Abeego so you’ll never waste another half lemon. You can expect the cut side of the lemon, lime or orange to slowly lose moisture until the it feels dry to the touch. The newly dried end creates a second peel that locks the juices into the fruit. When you’re ready to use your citrus, cut a thin slice off the front of the fruit to remove the dried edge and et voila! You have a perfect citrus fruit ready to eat or juice.
Will citrus fruits damage Abeego?
No. The acidity of citrus will not break down your Abeego Wraps or eat the coating. Over the past ten years, we’ve tested and retested our beeswax food wraps with various types of citrus, like oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits and we have never had issues with the acidity of the fruit breaking down the wax coating of an Abeego.
How can I use Abeego to save my citrus fruit?
- Make a package and keep the zest of an orange, lemon or lime fresh
- Wrap a pre-zested fruit and keep it juicy until you’re ready to eat it
- Store half cut lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit
- Wrap a pre-peeled orange and pack it as a snack
- Wrap cut lemon slices and take them to the office to refresh your daily lemon water
Tips on integrating Abeego into your kitchen
- Place the cut side of the fruit down on Abeego and wrap around the citrus.
- Store your cut & wrapped citrus in the fridge. We like to keep ours on the top shelf and in sight.
- Place wrapped citrus on its side to allow the cut end to breathe.
- Always check your fridge before cutting into a new lemon or lime to keep precious half cuts from becoming food waste!